Cooking without a kitchen and being heavily pregnant hasn’t been without it’s challenges. There’s been barely any bench space and a tiny little sink, stuff in the laundry, stuff in the playroom, the spare room, the linen cupboard… basically I’ve had stuff stashed in every nook and cranny of the house! Oh…. and I’ve been cooking from a camp stove.
Still, it will be worth it! I’ve known I wanted to do the kitchen in this house since we moved in, and it will be so nice to have a lovely place to prepare and share meals at.
This dish has been a saviour during this time. It is quick and easy to prepare, has a delicious fresh summer feel, but still fills you up (sometimes salad just doesn’t cut it!) and gives you that satisfied feeling.
If I can give one piece of advice with this meal, it’s don’t skip any of the ingredients – they really do worth together in a team effort in this recipe.
You can, however play around a bit with the quantities – you could add more zucchini or garlic to taste, and more lemon juice too.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful mint
- 1 large zucchini
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- Half a birds eye chilli (finely chopped, optional) or a sprinkle of dried chilli
- Spaghetti (as much as you need to serve two)
- 1 cup stale bread ripped into little chunks
- Juice of half a lemon (reasonably sized lemon)
- Olive oil
- Grate or spirooli the zucchini (I prefer to spirooli it because then you get bigger, more solid pieces, and then I just chop it into smaller bits), finely chop the mint and garlic.
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions.
- Get the bread and place into a bowl with a lug of olive oil, and toss (I always find that you use less oil when you toss stuff in a bowl first, as opposed to doing it in a baking dish or frypan), ensuring that the bread is all coated.
- Gently fry the bread in a frypan until golden brown and crispy, and then set aside.
- Using the same frypan (but without the bread - very important to set it aside as otherwise it will go soggy), put a touch of olive oil in and gently fry the zucchini, chilli and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Then, add the peas and mint and stir in along with the lemon juice.
- After a few minutes, add the pasta and stir in (with a bit of the pasta cooking water if you think it needs it), and serve, with the breadcrumbs on top, and a tiny drizzle of olive oil.