Salad, chilli and pasta.
These three things feature on the dinner plate at our house a lot!
When we’re in a super rush, we may just whip up a 2 minute tomato sauce, but otherwise, we like to add other veggies to it. I just love how in this recipe the sauce sticks right into the pasta, and this sauce seems to be on rotation at our place weekly at the moment.
- 2 tins diced tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion (or 3 shallots)
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 6 cup mushrooms (not 6 cups of mushrooms! - cup mushrooms are in between button mushrooms and field mushrooms - the normal sized ones)
- 1 cayenne chilli
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onions, garlic, chilli and carrots in the food processor and blitz. Add to a pan on low heat and saute for a few minutes until the onions are glossy.
- Then, blitz the zucchini, mushrooms and basil and add to the pan with the onion mix. Stir the mixture and then add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste.
- Simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- You can then serve as is with pasta and vegan parmesan, or if you prefer a smoother sauce, let cool slightly and then transfer back to the food processor.