Oh my. I promised to write out the recipe for this mushroom and black pepper gravy YEARS ago, when I published the recipe for my lentil and walnut loaf and it’s just never been the right time to write down the exact ingredients. [read – I’ve always been rushing to get dinner cooked – picture food flying everywhere and a huge mess in the kitchen – those situations].
Over Christmas the recipe was featured in a roundup on Oh My Veggies and then people were like ‘ahem…. recipe please’, so I gave them the rough breakdown, but resolved that where there is a loaf recipe, there simply MUST be a gravy recipe!
This mushroom and black pepper gravy is my go-to. Mashed potato is one of my all-time favourite foods and whenever I want something totally satisfying that gives that hits the spot, this combo is it. Oh, I’m drooling just thinking about it!
- 4-5 cup mushrooms (in between button and field - don't mistake this for 'cups of mushrooms')
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups veggie stock
- 1.5 Tablespoons flour (whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1.5 Tablespoons tamari
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Black pepper to taste
- Slice the mushrooms, and place in a hot frypan with the olive oil, and stir for a few minutes until the mushrooms begin to release their liquid.
- Add the flour and stir until the flour has coated the mushrooms.
- Gradually add the veggie stock little by little while stirring the mix.
- Add the tamari, liquid smoke and black pepper and continue to stir at regular intervals.
- Boil down until it reaches the consistency you like.