I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. On Saturday we had a family picnic by the river, and on Sunday I spent the day trying to put together three bookshelves from IKEA for our lounge room. I can’t wait to fill up the bookshelves with lots of decorations. I feel like since we moved into this house last December, I still haven’t put out everything we own!
For Meatless Monday this week, I have a Fresh Quinoa Salad.
Usually I could take or leave quinoa…. I definitely would prefer proper rice if I was going to have it plain, but for this salad it is perfect, and it works really well with the tahini and mustard dressing.
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1-2 spring onions
- ½ avocado
- 2 big handfuls fresh spinach
- Small handful of fresh parsley
- 4-5 baby tomatoes
- ½ lemon
- Tablespoon tahini
- Pinch sugar
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Cook the quinoa (basically you put the same amount of water as the quinoa plus a bit more and boil it like rice, but it doesn't stick together or anything like rice. It usually takes about 10 minutes).
- Toast the almonds by putting them in a dry frypan (no oil) and tossing them. You can tell when they're done when you can smell them.
- Chop the tomatoes, spinach, avocado, parsley and spring onion.
- Mix the tahini, lemon juice, mustard and sugar together. Add more lemon (of even lime juice) if you want a thinner consistency. It should be the consistency of a creamy salad dressing.
- Then, mix it all together!
You can also add a bit of fresh chilli if you want to give it some bite.
At the end, you could also drizzle with a touch of flax seed oil.
Have a great week everyone.