So you know…. it’s only been nearly a year since I promised to share the recipe for these calcium cookies on the Modern Day Missus Facebook page… and then never did. I just needed to get the recipe right, you see.
So much has changed since then and although it is only (nearly) September, I feel like already the year is nearly over and I’m starting to reflect, and plan for next year!
But, there are a few recipes that I need to crank out before then, and a few posts too, starting with these delicious cookies.
I don’t know why, but everyone is always so obsessed with calcium, but it must be drummed into me too, because at the time, I was so keen so make sure we were incorporating enough calcium in our diet.
These cookies are a blend of almonds, cashews and sesame seeds, all sources of vegan calcium to different extents. They also provide small amounts of other important nutrients including magnesium, iron and zinc, together with the cacao.
Anyway, nutrition aside, they’re absolutely delicious, and a wonderfully chewy treat for a morning or afternoon snack.
- 1 cup medjool dates
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons cacao
- Soak the medjool dates in boiling water for 5 - 10 minutes before pitting them to soften them, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Combine the dry ingredients and blitz in the food processor until they form a course flour.
- Then, add the dates and blitz until the dates have been incorporated and the mix is well combined.
- Form into balls and flatten.
- Place in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.