Chickpeas are the bomb, and a regular item in my house.
One serve of chickpeas has the following kick-butt nutrition:
- 26% of your daily iron intake (to give you an idea, one serve of t-bone steak (85g) has only 17%!)
- 8% of your DI of calcium
- 71% of your DI of folate
- Tonne of magnesium and other lovelies
Chickpeas are also low GI, full of protein (for those of you who are concerned for us vegos out there) and can help lower cholesterol.
So, here is my recipe for Spiced Chickpeas… if you can call it a recipe, that is because it takes no time and is so easy.
- 1 tin chickpeas
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning
Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and then let them dry for a moment, while you preheat the oven to about 200 degrees.
Toss the chickpeas in a bowl in the olive oil and cajun seasoning to taste and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes, until they go slightly crunchy (but don’t overdo it).
Here are five ways you can use them:
- As a snack – I am constantly snacking, and these are awesome-sauce
- Sprinkled on a salad to give it a kick
- Popped on the top of your soup for a bit of crunch
- In a veggie wrap (I’m thinking red capsicum hommus), some greens like watercress, a bit of avocado and perhaps some zuchinni
- Mixed into pasta (like my creamy pumpkin pasta…. recipe coming up!)