So many of you know that I work at a school, which has a boarding school attached. When I started working here almost four years ago, I quickly learnt that the (slightly old-fashioned but nice) tradition of being provided afternoon tea each day by the kitchen was a fast track to putting on the pounds.
After a little while, I told the tea lady that she shouldn’t even come to my office to offer me afternoon tea because I didn’t need that temptation.
There was one exception to the rule though.
I LOVE a good muesli slice!
Then the school was producing a cookbook and the chef submitted this recipe. I just about had a heart attack when I saw what was in it. It was basically pure honey and butter.
Things are different now. I’ve been vegan for over a year, and can I tell you, that one of the best things about being vegan, is that it is to so easy to avoid eating junk, because there is a black and white line of what you do, and don’t eat, and so much of the junk out there isn’t vegan.
This muesli slice is pretty much as healthy as you’ll get a muesli slice, and it’s perfect for an afternoon or morning tea.
- 150g spelt flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed fruit
- 3 chia eggs (3 tablespoons chia soaked in 9 tablespoons water)
- 3 Tablespoons flaked almonds
- 125g coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 80g rice syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease/line a lamington tray.
- Combine the dry ingredients, chia and water in a bowl in a mixing bowl.
- Place the coconut oil and rice syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until it is melted and mixed through.
- Add to the mixing bowl and combine all the ingredients together until well-mixed.
- Place the mixture into the lamington tray and press down with the back of a spoon so there are no gaps or air bubbles.
- Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes and then allow to cool before cutting into slices (no seriously, let it cool before you slice it!)
Tweet: Want a healthier muesli slice? Grab this yummy #vegan #recipe over at @moderndaymissus http://ctt.ec/8l844+